5 days Live-Aboard
An introduction to navigation, boat handling and skippering skills, leading to the ability to skipper a small yacht on short daylight passages in fair weather. This course can be used to obtain an International Certificate of Competence and satisfies the minimum experience requirement for bare boat charter.
The course concentrates on pilotage, navigation and boat handling under both sail and power. It will also improve your sail setting and deck work, as well as developing your knowledge and understanding of seamanship and safety issues. During the course you will be able to take charge of the yacht on short tidal passages, under the guidance of the instructor.
- Preparation for sea
- Preparing a yacht for sea (Stowing, engine check & prep)
- Deck work
- Reefing and sail selection to suit prevailing conditions
- Proper anchoring, mooring practice and docking
- Use of electronic navigation equipment for position fixing
- Use of waypoints
- Estimating tidal heights and tidal streams, current, leeway, and drift
- Adjusting course for tides, currents, weather
- Knowledge of USCG buoys and Aids to Navigation
- Maintenance of navigational records
- Use of echo sounder and lead line
- Weather and Meteorology
- Rules of the road
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Maintenance and repair work
- Understanding fuel and water filters, pump impeller and bleeding the fuel system
- Emergencies (MOB, Liferaft use and deployment, Distress on VHF Radio, towing, rescue)
“Awesome way to comprehend the insane amount of info for the 100 ton USCG license. Instruction on iPads is brilliant – we even get to take them home for studying.”
“I had a great experience. The instructors were very patient and extremely knowledgeable!!!”
“Awesome program and Capt Tony is a great teacher. Thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. Thank you!”
Online RYA Courses
Join Confident Captain/Ocean Pros for our 16 hour, 2-Day power boating course. Learn basic safety, navigation, boat handling, weather & more. Hands-on adventure and fun with a focus on safety and seamanship.
The RYA Professional Practices & Responsibilities course is a compulsory online course for the RYA Commercial Endorsement holders. This course is for individuals who are looking to obtain RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew.
Get In Touch
344 Aquidneck Avenue Middletown, RI 02840
9 AM to 5 PM