5 days Live-Aboard
An introduction to navigation, boat handling and skippering skills, leading to the ability to skipper a small yacht on short daylight passages in fair weather. This course can be used to obtain an International Certificate of Competence and satisfies the minimum experience requirement for bare boat charter.
The course concentrates on pilotage, navigation and boat handling under both sail and power. It will also improve your sail setting and deck work, as well as developing your knowledge and understanding of seamanship and safety issues. During the course you will be able to take charge of the yacht on short tidal passages, under the guidance of the instructor.
- Preparation for sea
- Preparing a yacht for sea (Stowing, engine check & prep)
- Deck work
- Reefing and sail selection to suit prevailing conditions
- Proper anchoring, mooring practice and docking
- Use of electronic navigation equipment for position fixing
- Use of waypoints
- Estimating tidal heights and tidal streams, current, leeway, and drift
- Adjusting course for tides, currents, weather
- Knowledge of USCG buoys and Aids to Navigation
- Maintenance of navigational records
- Use of echo sounder and lead line
- Weather and Meteorology
- Rules of the road
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Maintenance and repair work
- Understanding fuel and water filters, pump impeller and bleeding the fuel system
- Emergencies (MOB, Liferaft use and deployment, Distress on VHF Radio, towing, rescue)
"I had a great experience. The instructors were very patient and extremely knowledgeable!!!"
Online RYA Courses
Register for the RYA VHF Radio Certificate Course, created for anyone who owns a marine VHF radio. The Short Range Radio Certificate is required by law if operating a radio with Digital Selective Calling. The course requires approximately 5 hours of studying before an in-person exam at Confident Captain or an RYA Training Center.
The RYA Professional Practices & Responsibilities course is a compulsory online course for the RYA Commercial Endorsement holders. This course is for individuals who are looking to obtain RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew.
Get In Touch
344 Aquidneck Avenue Middletown, RI 02840
9 AM to 5 PM