US Coast Guard Approved
Become a Confident Captain!
Sign up today and take your career to the next level!
We are proud to offer an online Captain’s course built from the ground up by our New England based Pro Captains. After you register, you will be connected to one of our Pro Captains that will use Zoom to help coach you as much as you need to get you prepared for your in-person exam.
All exams are taken with us!
Working on the water is hard. It’s a lot harder if you don’t have the proper training. Our Captain’s courses are designed by Captains for Captains. Whether you are sitting for your 6-Pack license to run fishing trips or your Master’s license to run passenger’s vessels, Confident Captain’s team of professionals can help you take your career to the next level. We offer no-fuss, well-organized and easy to understand training that lasts a lifetime!
How Does it Work?
- Register for the OUPV or Master’s Captain’s course
- You may register for your desired exam date and location at this point. Alternatively, you may decide to wait until you have had a chance to finish the course. That choice is yours.
- You may also choose to purchase tutoring hours at $15/hour at any time.
- Upon registering, within 24 hours you will receive course login information and details via email from your local Pro Captain.
- Participate in the entire course and if you need help, you can sign up for tutoring with your local Pro Captain.
- Take and pass your exam with us.
- Receive your Course Completion Certificate.
- Fill out your USCG application using our student application guide.
- Send your application and certificate to the Coast Guard.
- Get your Captain’s License!
Which Captain’s license is right for me?
If you want to charter your personal boat or do small charters that carry fewer than 6 passengers then the OUPV Six-pack license would be your course. However, if you want to run any other vessel, including vessels that are inspected by the US Coast Guard to carry more than six passengers, cargo, or engage in other commercial trade, you need a Master’s license.
Your first Master’s license can be either 25, 50 or 100 gross tons. Our Master’s course is the same for each of these tonnages. The tonnage license that you receive from the USCG will depend on the size of the vessels that your sea-time has been served on. Visit this link for a more detailed description of which master’s license you qualify for.
Captain’s License Requirements
For US Captains
You are required to have at least 360 days on the water (90 in the past three years) to be eligible to get your US Coast Guard OUPV or Master 25/50/100GT Captain’s License.
The operator of a vessel that has a ship’s station license is required to hold an FCC license as Marine Radio Operator Permit (MROP) or higher. This 4 hour module meets all FCC testing requirements.
Earn your Towing Endorsement for captains license from Confident Captain. This 4-hour course is for candidates with a USCG Master, Mate, or OUPV license. A towing endorsement will allow the licensed to tow disabled recreational vessels commercially. View our available course dates if you’re qualified.
Limited Master Launchtender
Register for The Limited Master Launch Tender course which covers boat handling, regulations, ropework, navigation rules, and more. This Confident Captain course was designed for those whose occupation includes operating a launch. Those enrolled must be 17 years of age and have 120 days of documented sea time.
Get In Touch
344 Aquidneck Avenue Middletown, RI 02840
9 AM to 5 PM
Captain’s Weekly Dispatch
Sign up to receive all the latest information, courses and deals from Confident Captain.